View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Acuff View Post
According to the book I'm reading you can make better mix level judgements by listening to a summed signal on a single mono speaker than by mixing on stereo monitors alone. He also points out that in mix cube speakers you have a single driver which means no crossover distortion in the midrange. And no cabinet port means better time coherence.
I agree with everything except the bit about the port. Auratones and the like have so little low end that's it's easy to make mistakes. And the enclosure is just a box, with no science or "design" put into it. I built myself some speakers that address these issues, and I'm thrilled with them. There's a lengthy post about it on a different site that rhymes with "futz" but I can't link to it without violating Terms of Service.

Quote:
If I decide to pull the trigger and give it a try I'll probably go for the Avantone cube because of the convenience of having a built in amp. It gets very good reviews. Are there any users here?
The amp is convenient, yes, but I think the real Auratones sound better. And a good-sized power amp makes a real difference, even at very low volume.

Couch Standards