View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 06:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Well I just stumbled across the Mesa retail shop next to GC and SA in Hollywood and ... playing a relatively humble Taylor 214CE DLX (ES2 system) through it was a sensual experience indeed!

Maybe it's the Mesa rock heritage but for someone like me who loves to rock out on acoustic (think Bryan Adams or Peter Townshend solo) it was really a dream come true. And I started off with my mellow fingerpicking stuff before launching the rock attack and I was more than happy with that, too.

This is right after I heard the new Boss amp people are dying to love on another thread with a Taylor John Petrucci ($4,000 model) and couldn't find a good sound to save my life nor could the sales guy.

The ES2 equipped 214 through the Rosette was a real revelation! Yeah, the amp is on the expensive side of things but that "lower echelon" Taylor sang through it; for around $2,000 I was hearing everything I'd ever want to hear sonically for mellow or rocking tunes. I did not have a chance to try a mic through it. The 12V phantom power limitation kinda sucks cause it seems you'd need at least 24V phantom power to run an Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina through it which I own. I know I could buy an adapter but that's not thrilling.

I've had Acus amps on the mind but there is a real problem finding any place in the US that's knowledgeable about them or a place to try them out. I love the youtube demos but obviously it would be nice to try one in person before shelling out that kind of dough even with a return policy. Ironically, I wasn't all that blown away by the Rosette youtube demos I heard (didn't hear all the ones on this thread yet) but was in fact blown away in person.

I'd say the kind of player who would really get their money's worth out of one is someone who likes to push things a bit into the rock world. I'm sure it would also excel for any style; but so would just about any quality acoustic amp. I'm not sure all acoustic amps would be so flattering for more aggressive playing.

I really like the fact Mesa has a real US presence with an established sales and support network. Really tempted by this one!
The more I play this amp the more impressed I am... but I agree with you on the Phantom power. Why not give us 48V?
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast