View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
...I've got D'addario Chromes 11-50 on it right now. I never could get past the brightness of PB when new...
Speaking as a fellow Godin owner (5th Avenue acoustic and CW II electric) the D'A Chrome 11's are a great electric string - they're my go-to for my Gretsch electrics - but you're losing a lot of acoustic tone/volume. If you need something mellower than PB, try a set of Martin Retro Monels; I've got a set of MM13's on my 5th Avenue, and they have a real prewar vibe once you break them in (about 1-2 weeks of regular playing) - punchy with strong mids and a subdued top end, along with a slinkier feel than comparable-gauge PB's/80-20's (somewhat of a paradox, since they have slightly higher tension than either). BTW if you're concerned about the extra tension, don't be - I had PB 14's on mine until I discovered the Monels (I use it strictly as a comp box) - haven't had any issues since day one, and IME a simple bridge/truss rod adjustment should bring yours up to spec ...