View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM

Default Build Thread: Michel Aboudib 00, Euro spruce/Cuban mahogany

Michel is of Syrian origin, but has lived since teenagehood in France and the US. He is currently heading out to Oakland to be the next Somogyi apprentice, but has already established himself as an artisan maker of exceptional instruments.

I popped over to Toulouse in southern France last week to pick up the latest in a batch of 00 sized guitars I have commissioned over the last year or so, having settled on a classical size shape between 14-14.5 inches wide as the best fit for me. I prefer a 1 7/8 (48mm) nut, which usually means custom ordering.

I managed to spend a few hours with Michel, who is among the most rewarding and fun people you are likely to meet anywhere. Michel has built OM and dread sized instruments for folks on this forum, this was his first 00, we settled on a 12 fret cutaway to try to combine the virtues of the bridge placement sweet spot with extra access higher up.
I'll share some build + studio pics, and aim to record in a few weeks.

To cut to the chase, this guitar is unique in my experience as a multi-sensory work of art. Michel aims to create an instrument as an immersive world of the senses, and he has succeeded here. The resins and wax used in the finish process have a wonderful lingering vanilla and pine perfume. The satin finish feels soft to the touch, and the neck is lightly oiled, so it feels like your hands are more in touch with the wood itself. Visually the guitar is unassuming and restrained, but has a gentle golden glow that feels friendly and inviting. The playability is simply the best I have come across, anywhere. This makes more of a difference than I have been used to, and it adds to the compulsion to engage with the instrument.

Tone-wise, it's still very new, but I am completely smitten. It has a body resonance of E, which supports high A and B notes. It has slightly less sustain and cathedral choir reverb overtones than my other instruments, as I would have expected from a mahogany body, but plenty enough to satisfy me. Currently not quite as much power and volume as the others, although I expect this will increase, but again, perfectly satisfactory, more than loud enough to immerse you as you play. The balance is excellent across the fretboard, as is the clarity and purity of each note. The responsiveness is quick to a soft touch, with enough room in the tank to sustain a heavy right hand. There is a satisfying sense of dynamic range which invites exploration of different techniques, and Michel has achieved a superb balance between response of attack and depth of body.

The bass is more pillowy and woomphy than my other guitars, with a real depth of character. The trebles have a very special liquid beauty and strength that is mesmerising. Michel nailed it in terms of the balance of power and sweetness in the trebles, they are to die for. The overall personality of the tone is woody, warm, strong Mediterranean honey with a stunning range of colour. The guitar as a whole is uniquely sensual and seductive with a character that I think somehow combines Michel's various backgrounds with something exciting and enticing. My kids are used to my different guitars, and they all went "oooh, that's so pretty" when they heard this one.
If you want to fall in love with a guitar, I'd say Michel is your man, I've got too many guitars already, but I'm definitely going to order another of his.
Woods are 1980s Austrian spruce, described by Michel as "velvety and buttery", with 19th century Cuban mahogany.