View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 06:29 PM

Was a basic folksong fingerpicker when I started college in '69 - "Freight Train", PP&M, easy MJH, etc. There was this local guy named Leo who had just come out with a record on the Oblivion label. I was doomed.

Walked over to the Podium, where they sold me on a great sounding, affordable Wilson 12 string. Played the heck out of it for a several years, of course never being able to even get close to anything but Leo's simplest pieces. Even with extra lights, tuned down 2 steps, it gradually pulled the top up. A young guy starting in the repair business named Charlie Hoffman keep it for about 6 months, and finally got it back into shape. About a year or two later, it started to fold itself up again.

Decided I needed a replacement, and since I worked across the street from the Podium, went in again. This time they had a Japanese (Yari) produced Bozo 12 string. Had that full Bozo sound. Had it in several times for setup/intonation, even getting a double thick saddle installed to custom intonate each sting, as well as hide a piezo pickup. Loved that guitar, and even used it for a winter of lessons with Peter Lang. But after a couple of years, my left hand began hurting so bad, I couldn't play longer than 5-10 min. Surgery was strongly advised.

Instead, after tapering way down, just gave up playing.

Roll forward 25 years, and the wife notes that if I no longer play, I should sell the guitars. Wilson is of course shot, so it goes in a dumpster. Take the Bozo for appraisal to the Podium. Marty looks at it, and the first words are "Bet your hand hurt to play it". A new nut later, and it plays like a dream. I set about trying to relearn all the really old stuff.
But, doubts linger, and I found myself resenting the lost years that guitar caused. So Craigslist it was, and then a trip to see Jim at Guitar Rodeo - a year or so before he became the Podium.

Current 12 is a LKSM, which gets about 75% of my playing time. No pain, and even though I'm only able to play from tab, at least I have many more pieces composed by that guy back in '69 under my belt....