View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 04:00 PM

Default 12er

My first came well into my years as a player. it was a '67 D12-20. Love dit and played all sort of things on it. But over the years, the action raised and I got it out less and less, until I finally realized over a year had passed since I'd' played it. It wasn't enjoyable any longer. So I spent some money on it, new frets, setup, lowering the action, about $500 as I recall.

When I got it back, it was still not enjoyable. In the duration I hadn't played it, I acquired my first really, really good guitars, so it could be that I was spoiled and it was as good as ever. Others that heard it said it was fine. But it didn't sound that way to me.

So I sold it and looked for something different. The problem was I didn't want to spend a sum comparable to my latest 6 strings, since I was only going to use it for special occasions. I didn't find anything until one day I found a real possibility on eBay, a luthier-made one. I contacted him and he told me I wouldn't want the one he was selling (too wide a nut for me). That was honest and decent of him to be so upfront to me and it led to a commission, at a price that was cheaper than the Taylors, Martins, Guilds and Gibsons, I'd been studying. And when it arrived, it did not disappoint! Not one bit. The builder was someone who few of you have ever heard of, yet he has built over 1000 instruments including ones for Gordon Bok, Judy Collins and Noel Paul Stookey of PP&M - Nick Appollonio.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.