View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 06:21 PM

These can be great beginner/intermediate student guitars, provided they are set up properly. A lot of people these days shy away from the longer scales, and there is even a growing trend in the classical guitar community toward shorter (640mm or even 630mm). Without starting a CG flame war, let me just say that I think it's an oversimplification to attribute playability to any one number, especially the scale length. I've owned 640mm guitars that are a pain to play, and 664mm that are wonderful.

I can't recall if that model had solid or laminate back/sides, but it's really the top that matters. If you're happy with the sound, and it brings you back to practice, then that really says it all! Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunkerbill View Post
Hey All,
I'm new to CG and wanted to pick up something that would last me a few semesters during my studies. I educated myself as best I could on CG construction, came up with a (low) budget and started searching. After playing a few I settled on this Hernandis Grand Concert. This is supposed to be the best of the best of the S/B Japanese 'Spanish' guitars. It was slightly beat-up and not well maintained, broken strings, rusty frets, etc. It was also missing the interior label, but from others I've seen it's from 1974 and has Brazilian Rosewood back, sides, bridge and headstock plate, Cedar (Spanish Pine!) top with Ramirez-style fan bracing, a very dark Grenadillo fingerboard, Cedar neck with Ebony support down the back, bone nut and saddle. It's a 664mm scale with a 52mm nut. The tuners were crap, so I replaced them with Gotoh Deluxes, cleaned it up, polished the frets, oiled the fingerboard and put some D'Addario Pro Arte strings on it. I'm not one to judge (yet!), but my instructor is the Guitar Studies Chair at Azusa Pacific University and completed Master Classes with El Maestro Segovia, Christopher Parkening, etc. and he tried it out and was quite impressed with the guitar. The best part? I got it for only $6500.00!... Just kidding. I saw that MSRP on Sherry Brener's website for the Hernandis GC guitar (now 'sold-out'). I actually paid $300.00, plus the Gotoh Deluxe tuners ($60.00) and the strings. I'm really happy with my purchase so far. It's as close to a Ramirez 1a as I'll ever get, probably. It keeps me coming back to practice my exercises, so I guess that's what really counts. Does anyone have any experience with this exact guitar? If so, what are your thoughts? No need to go ripping into Sherry Brener's business practices, or the grade 3,2,1 or 1a Garcia's, Marcellino's etc. as that's been covered ad naseum. Just a player's perspective on the Grand Concert, please. Thanks in advance.