View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
i see this game played with auto mechanics, and other repair people. don't tell them what you think is wrong and hope they'll discover the issue.
Perhaps I should have been more clear. So far, there is not a clear statement from the original poster that dropping the guitar on the end jack caused this damage. If it did, then the case is closed: cause and effect.

If he's not sure, then I recommend that when he takes it to a professional for adjudication, he say something along the lines of, "The binding appears to be separating here, please check out the situation and let me know what may have caused it and what repair is required and at what cost".

I'm not suggesting he intentionally deceive anyone. What I am suggesting is that if he isn't certain that the separating binding is a result of dropping it on the end jack, that he not pre-judge the issue. Instead, let a professional determine the extent and nature of the damage: with a first-hand examination, I could tell within two minutes what work needs to be done and its likely cause. I'm certain that most other experienced professional repairmen/luthiers can also. If it is not related to being dropped, it might be a defect in manufacturing, which might be covered by a warranty.

There is no evidence on the binding, itself, of having been struck. Certainly, the damage could be a result of the being dropped on the end jack. It isn't clear from the photos or from the original poster's description.