View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
…I would love to hear opinions on this.

THANKS!!!
Hi brancher

I have 4 K&K equipped guitars (all dual source), and opted for external preamps over a decade ago because of the ability to adjust things on the fly so much easier.

I use Raven or DTAR external preamps for my rigs because they have a channel for microphone as well as pickup, and they give me both gain (input volume from the guitar) and Master (output volume) control as well as Bass-Mid-High tone controls.

The other thing a stand-alone external preamp brings is all of the Direct Box capabilities (¼" and XLR outputs which can be used simultaneously), and ground lift, and effects loops.

The sleeper single channel external preamp out there is the Fishman Platinum "Stage" model for $150 that is housed in aluminum, is low profile, has sweepable mids, will power up via phantom from the PA or amp, phase control, gain (trim) and master volumes, pre-or-post DI capability, selectable lo-cut filter, and bass/guitar input switch.

The XLR feeds the mic cables out the side instead of the top (like ParaDI), and ground lift is automatic. I own one, and it is small (fits in the pick drawer of my cases). There is a hand operated adjustable boost button on it as well.

Hope this adds to the discussion (I came to the party late).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…