View Single Post
Old 05-27-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Actually I get what you are saying and it sounds pretty organized
So the 500 Neve 542's , are a compressor pair ? What are the Elysia pair ?
The 542s are tape emulators. I'm not sure what's in that little box but they're fairly heavy given their size. It offers quite a bit of control to sculpt the effect you want and the blue and red "silk" options can be quite nice sometimes. The Neve site describes it better. These were the first 500 units I picked up when I finally bought a chassis. The reason was partly curiosity and partly because I got a great deal on them at a price low enough that I'll make a few bucks if I decide to sell them.

The Elysia unit is the X-Filter eq. It has dented pots and I bought it hoping it might be a good mastering eq and an alternative to the UAD Curve Bender plugin I use all the time. It didn't turn out to be that but it's a nice eq. However, it's yet another piece of hardware with a less than intuitive layout. Instead of laying out the bands horizontally, they laid them out in corners. The lows are in the top left, the lower mids in the bottom left, the upper mids in the top right, and the highs in the bottom right. It would have made more sense, imo, to have had the gain and frequency knobs on vertical planes like this...
Low Gain - Low Frequency
Low Mid Gain - Low Mid Frequency
Upper Mid Gain - Upper Mid Frequency
High Gain - High Frequency
To my brain, that's a more intuitive layout.

The unit also has a power button (something most 500 units don't have). I appreciate them adding that but in an effort to be as minimally intuitive as possible, they labeled the power button "Hit It!" instead of "Power" or "On/Off" or "Bypass." When I first put this in my rack, I thought I got a defective unit because it wouldn't power on. Nothing wrong with the unit, I just didn't recognize the "Hit It!" button as a power button.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube