Thread: Cordoba guitars
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
Córdoba does a very good job of providing great guitars in pretty much every one of their price points. Personally, I prefer the more pure acoustic, traditional body types for byline string guitars. I had a Yamaha NTX Series nylon string and it was a great guitar for plugged in tone. However, I actually found the slightly narrower nut width caused problems for me, given the large string diameter and slinky nature of nylon strings. Also the thin body really hindered the normally sweet tone and resonance of a classical guitar. So now I have a Córdoba C5 and an Esteso and love them both.
It's not the thin body that hinders the sweet, lively acoustic tone. The NTX line and guitars similar to them are just built heavier, and inhibit vibration IMO. I had Spanish-made Cordoba FCWE, 55FCE (cypress) and 55FCE Ltd (ziricote). All had very thin bodies, but had great response and tone. No, they didn't have as bold, full and loud of an acoustic tone as the thicker-bodied Chinese Cordoba Luthier series that I prefer. But they sounded surprisingly good unplugged, and just as good plugged in. I'd say that they had 70-90% of the acoustic tone that the thicker bodies have.

The only reason that I sold them is because the necks are chunkier (I have small hands) and because I was unable to get the string action as low as I've been able to get my Luthier series instruments. Even with minimum neck relief set on the truss rod, and the saddles shaved all the way to the bridge... the action was higher than I wanted to live with. The Spanish Cordoba plant could learn some things from the Chinese plant about how to build a proper flamenco guitar (as wacky as that may sound).