View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would tend to agree if for no other reason than the EQ is still only boosting or cutting what is actually there, and what is actually there is different (perhaps very subtle at times but still different ) on different types of mics. Not to mention with vintage mics often individual mics of the same model sound different.

Also I think there is in fact more going on in the sum total of microphone sound, than just strict EQ response.

I would think it would take significantly more sophisticated algorithms to mimic the different, electronics , body size and resonance , diaphragms , etc. of different mic designs, than what is going to be found in even the most feature rich EQ plugins. Just my opinion.
Again, my question is a sincere one, and with all with all sincere questions, it must come from ignorance. Your list above are all causes for there to be different sound qualities produced, but what would be their manifestations on the ear if not in different EQ profile and ADSR? Is there some overtone series being generated that was not there in the original sound source? Something else I'm missing?

Also I just occurs to me that pickup patterns are another significant practical difference, and one that may not be able to be removed from this discussion, even though my original question is based on listening to microphone comparisons and hearing mostly EQ as the distinction.

In my ignorance and probably degraded hearing, I hear EQ as being much more than half of what I hear when I listen to a mic A vs. mic B comparison.

I realize that amplitude response (ADSR) curves are there too, particularly in pure comparison tests with a single sound is recorded to one track with no effects and compared, but that in a final mastered recording I suspect these differences become even smaller compared to the EQ differences.

I realize questions are easy and answers are hard, but given the cost of a good microphone locker I'm wondering if it's possible to fake it to the degree than few can tell.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....