View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Interesting comparison. I have always liked Martin SP strings, too.

From my viewpoint, the reason for trying the DR Sunbeams was in an effort to find a medium string set that was easier to play compared to hex-core mediums. (This was Rich's recommendation, who commented here on this thread, as well.) The DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" strings (same as other brand mediums) are easier on the fingers and hands and allow me to get by with mediums on one guitar (in particular) that just sounds weak with light strings.

On the 3 guitars I have that use light strings, I am using either Martin SP or D'Addario lights (either EXP or EJ16 PB) and generally I use these strings interchangeably. I've never tried DR Sunbeams in light gauge. I should...

Thanks, Glenn
Yeah, the naming conventions used by DR for the Sunbeams are somewhat untraditional. And to your point, during my "test", the Sunbeams were definitely easier to play and more comfortable on the finger tips.

To me, the Martin SP strings sounded a little warmer, very lush, and full bodied on both guitars. The bass response was also a little nicer. The problem is that, all of these little nuances that make me like the Martin strings better are also the first things to die off in terms of tone, and that's when the Sunbeams surpass the Martin strings. The Sunbeams are very consistent and just fall off versus the gradual decay of the Martin strings.

Overall, I would say the Sunbeams are a better string for all purposes, but a new set of Martin SPs on a Martin is hard to beat.