View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 05:18 PM

Default Kerry Char - 000 - Pernambuco & Moon Spruce

Building a Keeper

This is my first build thread, but I am a long-time AGF’er. Be gentle with me!

Along with being a big fan of vintage instruments, I’ve been blessed with many wonderful builders in my life – Frankie Montuoro, John Greven, Robert Steinegger, Nick Kukich…and Kerry Char. This is my third build with Kerry, the Portland, Oregon, namesake of Char Lutheries. He’s probably best known for his restoration work (he’s among the best in the country) and his authentic recreations of steel string and other instruments. He’s a world-class uke maker as well. I’m also honored to call him a good friend.

Kerry is probably in his prime as a builder right now, having crafted 400 or more guitars in his career, on top of his other instruments.

For this build, I wanted something different. A keeper. Like most of us, I’ve flipped way too many guitars over the years as I find what I like and what fits my body as I age. I’ve now settled on 12-fret designs and very light builds. For this particular build, I asked Kerry to make me a 12-fret 000 – probably my favorite size – but with something different in woods. I also wanted a very light and resonant build.

Step one – wood selection.
I’m a fan of traditional and elegant woods most of the time, but was hoping for something different. Out we went to Kerry’s wood locker as he’d just landed something special that might fit. Among the marvelous Koa (he’s from Hawai’i), rosewoods, mahoganies, ebonies and other fabulous selections, he pulled out two sets of Pernambuco. I picked one of the two sets and a marvelous top of Moon spruce that was so creamy and the tone tap was fabulous. Lots of chatoyance, which my photos don't show well here...but here goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Char_MoonSpruce1.jpg (21.4 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Char_B&S.jpg (43.7 KB, 334 views)

(Just north of Portland)

Email: [email protected]
Phone: 503-784-9962--mobile