View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I tried one of these a while back when I was looking for a full-featured practice amp, and I found the sound somewhat thin and lacking in low/low-mid response - not what I'd guess you'd be looking for with a 17" full-depth carved-top; since you've got two good amps already, there are a couple of options:
  • In the thread I referenced above, I mentioned a cocktail-hour musician who ran his Epiphone ES-175 Premium through a (discontinued) Fender Frontman 25R with a replacement Eminence Lil' Buddy speaker - one of these (or a Cannabis Rex 10) in your Princeton would provide you with a mellower tonality in a full-featured all-tube practice/small-gig combo;
  • Plug into the AC30's Normal channel low-gain input, set the Master Volume to around 3:00, and dial in your sound with the Tone Cut and Channel Volume - while the Celestions (Greenback or Alnico Blue) aren't ideal jazz speakers IMO, there's more than enough power-stage grunt and headroom to get some sweet tubey-clean tones at reasonable volume;
  • If you don't want to tinker with the Princeton the TDPRI guys love these, and with an Eminence Cannabis Rex 12" replacement speaker you could have a dedicated all-tube club amp for the discounted price of the JC-22:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

• Although tubes add their own euphonic coloration (the warmth, depth, and organic richness you hear in older jazz recordings, and which I personally like) some guys just prefer the more pristine analog solid-state tonality - if you're more inclined in that direction I get excellent results with my Godin CW II and a (discontinued) Fender Frontman 212R, and at $150-200 for a good used one it's a cheap way to get major headroom and "big-clean" full-range tone with classic "blackface Twin" looks:

I didn't mention it, but I already own a Monoprice like the one you listed. I never really though of it as a clean amp though. Interesting thoughts!