View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchalebk View Post
I owned an Xi and it was the most comfortable guitar I've ever played. However, I don't have issues with bigger guitars, so this wasn't the greatest selling point for me. I sold it mainly because the RT finish didn't blend well with my playing technique (I make too much contact with the top of the guitar). The tone of the guitar was quite good, not nearly as thin as you might think.

I think the lack of popularity with these guitars is due to the fact that you can't just play them at any music store. If more people actually had a chance to try one in person, I think a lot more people would buy them. So many of us end up ordering a guitar sight unseen because we just don't live where we can try these out ahead of time. It gets kind of scary to assume a thin bodied guitar like the Xi will work when you've never tried one. A lot easier to believe a GX will fit the bill better.
I think the above is true. I had a CA X and it was a nice guitar especially plugged in. But I sold it, given the brighter voicing of Rainsong started to appeal and had a chance to trade for a OM1000. Thin guitars are just so comfortable to play. The Emerald Double is a case in point. Very thin at 3.5 inches but the jumbo sound board seems to make up for it. I think CA is the only company that goes thin. The Double is it at Emerald for full size I believe?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom