View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Silone View Post
So here’s a related question for those of us suffering with hearing loss:

Does it make sense to spring for expensive guitars, when you know you’re not going to really be able to appreciate all their wonderfulness? I can still tell the difference between different guitars, and can still tell the difference between a Martin and a Rogue. But I know that my hearing is getting worse almost by the day. The choice seems to be to tolerate the suppression of higher frequencies without hearing aids, or to tolerate the “listening through a cheap transistor radio” effect with hearing aids. I’m starting to feel like someone who smokes three packs of cigarettes a day springing for a $300 bottle of wine...
Up to you. I will say I started to hate my 98 Martin D-16 when using my previous aids, and then loved it again when I got the Oticon Chili SP9 I use now. But then, I've never hear any of my guitars without a hearing aid since I started wearing them at 13 and started guitar a year and half later.

Hearing aids are not really high fidelity as a stereophile would want. Not even close. I looked up the specification on a Siemen aid some years ago. They were bragging about less than 5% harmonic distortion. My current Oticon's have 1.0 to 2.5% total harmonic distortion, dependence on the frequency. Max frequency is 6.5kHz. A true stereophile would have died if they had to listen to something like that.

Any technical types here (I'm an electrical engineer) can see the specs. on my Oticon here