Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
OK my selection:

Royer 121
Oktava Mk012
Kel HM3C
ADK Vienna Mk8
Neumann 84

In the initial fingerstyle bit, the Royer captures a strong, driving sound in the bass strings like nothing else. Not so good on the strumming part of the clip. Not many mics did sound good on the strummed sample so maybe the guitar is partly to blame.

I really like that Royer. Would be superb on fingerstyle if you want a smooth and silky sound. Oktavas if you like more zing and detail.
I have the Royer 121 and many more mics that I've tried/do record fingerstyle, flatpicking, and hard strumming with. I love the Royer for acoustic recording in the right situation. IMO though "fingerstyle" is almost never that situation. It's like Ty said - the Royer's frequency response just doesn't match up perfectly with an acoustic guitar. It needs to be paired with another mic for solo acoustic work - a nice M/S config with a nice LDC or SDC. I was doing mic tests a while back and playing around with flatpicking to check what mics I liked on what tunes. Here's a little quick sample of a tune I was using to test the mics - it's a the Royer 121 in M/S w/ a Pearlman TM1:

http://soundcloud.com/scott-whigham/...100-100pan-m-s

It has a nice bottom end thanks to the Royer. Of course the Pearlman is no slouch either! Great for strumming or hard playing. Just not my thing for fingerpicking.