View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You do realize that such an admission can put you in guitar jail.

Funny you should mention going from guitar to piano. I have found that the music I want to make seems to be piano music. I have several really nice guitars, but most of my music time seems to be spent more and more on my piano.

I have a Roland V-Grand, which is their best digital. Also, I have several piano courses that I work from as well as figuring out stuff off recordings by ear. The advantage of the piano in that regard is that every pitch occurs on just one, and only one, key. The piano usually does not get retuned in various ways as the guitar does with all the open and alternate tunings.

However, I have found that after playing piano for a while, I can go back to the guitar with a fresh musical perspective. So, it seems to me, it is all good. If anything, being able to play more than one instrument broadens our musical horizons.

Tony
I bought a Yamaha PSREW400. It's very versatile and can do more things that I will get to in a lifetime. But I mostly use the grand piano to play along with. When I am feeling really adventurous, I switch to DJ pattern mode and go crazy with the dials and buttons and present rhythms can be called up on the fly.