View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default 11" Vega Old Tyme Wonder vs. 12" Vega Old Tyme Wonder

I sent back the 11" Vega Old Tyme Wonder because of a couple of cosmetic flaws and a desire to hear the 12" Vega Old Tyme Wonder. I received the 12" Vega Old Tyme Wonder a couple of days ago, and in this neophyte clawgrasser's hands I'd say that, overall, I prefer the 12" version to the 11" version. The 11" version had a more trebly tone but still had plenty of banjo-shaking bass and it felt like a baton that could be twirled around like a drum majorette would do. The 12" version sounds more fat and mellow but still with decent treble and clarity. The nice thing about the 12" version, because of its rim's slightly heavier weight and larger diameter, is that when sitting in the lap, it's more resistant to downward neck rotation than the 11" version while playing. Also, being only a few ounces heavier than the 11" version, the 12" version is still light on the body! Frankly, I could be just as happy with either the 11" Vega Old Tyme Wonder or the 12" Vega Old Tyme Wonder. Photos of this and all new banjos in the family coming soon.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20