View Single Post
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I have two Martins that I keep in their cases and humidified. I'm considering getting an inexpensive guitar - a "beater", if you will - that I can leave out on the stand and not worry about it. There's something to be said for having an instrument always at the ready, or one I can leave in another part of the house, or something I can take out by the fire pit or whatever.

I realize a carbon fiber guitar would be ideal for this. I owned a Rainsong for a while and it was great. But that's way above what I'm looking to spend.

My first thought is one of those all-HPL Marin X series (used). I haven't tried one. I'm not looking for Collings-quality tone or playability, but I want something that's at least decent.

What are some other choices I should be considering?

I'm assuming that anything with a solid top is out of the running because even with lam back/sides it would still be susceptible to dryness.
Not knowing what your budget is, I'd suggest either a Taylor GS Mini (preferably mahogany) or a Taylor Academy series (preferably the Grand Concert style...). Play both and base your choice on how you feel about the scale length of the two choices.

Other than the solid tops there's not a lot of risk involved with those two, and you can always stick a sound hole humidifier in add a bit of humidity when you're not playing.

There's a downside, though. You might find that your Martins will get considerably less play time.

You can find a lot of lower priced couch guitars, but you'll also most likely find that they simply don't inspire you to pick them up and play them. I've tried several of the usually recommended lower priced guitars and they simply induced a "meh..." feeling when playing them.

If a guitar doesn't sound good it isn't going to encourage you to pick it up and play, and that's what a good couch guitar is all about.