View Single Post
Old 09-19-2011, 03:37 PM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosrocker51 View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I have to comment. A well made flat top guitar should never have the top deform,
We can stop right there. <g> This implies that if the top deforms, it was not a well-made guitar. But is it not possible to become attached to a poorly-made guitar? We become attached to poorly-made people.
At one time, ladder-braced guitars were common, and "X"-braced, which helps prevent the belly condition was not that often used...if at all. This is all an evolutionary process.

Quote:
bridge tilt forward or any such thing if it is well made, properly braced and it is not abused with strings that greatly exceed it's capability to retain.

With that said, if it bulges, fixing it would not be worth it if it's a cheap guitar, IMO. If it's a fancy or valuable guitar, I'd be tempted to take it to a luthier. I have no idea what they do, but I assume it involves steaming and using long jaw wood clamps on top of shaped flats, enlarged, new bridge plate, or god knows what all to fix it...
Some of these "poorly-made" guitars are so valuable to their owners that they pay to have the backs removed, the ladder bracing removed and "X" bracing put in. This is a LOT of work.
Why?
Couldn't they just put that money into a properly constructed guitar?
Sure!
But as much as we would like to pretend that these are but wooden boxes with wires attached, they become much more over time.
For just another guitar, I agree with you...but for an old friend, well, he deserved a little more consideration.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.