Thread: ear training
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I was watching this video and then this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKZxLbG-gDg and this one that i was told view here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7p2gMwsPjw and it says basically that if you don't know what notes your singing you never will be able to write the melodies you hear in head or improvise is that true? If when I sing a song and I can't tell what each and every note is I'm singing I will never be able to play by ear / improvise / figure out the melodies to the songs I've written? I can't seem to to figure out when I'm singing a C2 or A4 or Bb3 or what ever the note may be and I can't figure out the melodies to my songs either.
The place to start is with a technique called Solfege (or Sight Singing). Learn the intervals (distance) between notes and how to tell how far each not is from the last. This is what they teach you in college ear training courses.

You start by singing solfege to scales (Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti Do). Then you start skipping around (Do Mi Do, Mi Sol Mi Do). Then you start looking at music and trying to figure out how a written melody would sound based on the solfege. The key is irrelevant. You just pick a tonal center and solfege the intervals.

The idea is that you learn to "hear" the intervals in your head so you end up being able to "hear" the melody as you read it...before you play it. You can also hear the intervals of a chord & know what kind of chord it is (major, minor, 7th, diminished, etc) and it's relation to the key (That's a I chord, that a #IV diminished, etc).

This not only helps with notating what you write, but also helps you learn new music because you don't have to "figure it out"...you know what you're hearing as you listen to it...melody & chords.

It's a powerful skill and any serious musician should develop it. It's not easy. In fact, it feels quite impossible when you first start...but hang in there and you'll amaze yourself as it all clicks and starts to make sense.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele