View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The only practical way to know how much audible junk you've got going on in your space is to record some and then find a truly quiet space to listen to it in.

And I think it's healthy and sanity-preserving to ask yourself what your goal is. Is it to work out arrangements, or practice, or show people on a forum like this one something you've worked out? Or are you "making a record?"
And I agree that how any ambient noise might translate to the audible signal to noise ratio of a recording is a practical and very useful consideration also.
That said I disagree it's the "only practical method" for understanding the room noise you might be dealing with, and I still think an SPL meter app, is a very practical way to get an idea of how much ambient noise you have in your room.

No doubt one has to know and set priorities as to goal, and my post did not suggest otherwise.
As to the rest of the last paragraph I guess I don't really understand what point you are making because it seems to me that the level of me ambient noise is useful info no matter what the goal or goals

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4