View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
For the sake of argument just pretend that there is no such thing as a nut, that all guitars just have frets on up to zero then the strings go to the tuning posts. So all ya got is frets. To build a guitar like that you would level the fretboard, install the frets, then level and dress the frets. Then you would string it up and set the action at the saddle and the relief. The guitar would be set up perfect.

Now just remove that fret and install a nut in it's place. The slots of the nut are the exact same height as the fret you just removed. IOW the nut is really just another fret...

IDK how to explain it any better but that's all there is to it. The nut is just a fret, it doesn't matter when in the process of doing a set up you cut the nut slots, before or after setting the saddle height, before or after setting in the relief, what ever. IT don't matter. As long as that nut is the same as the frets you are good to go.
I think we're all in agreement about this. There was some discussion as to whether the nut should be cut beforeor after relief is set, of which I stated it should be before, while the neck is flat. Otherwise you don't have a fret plane to reference off.

But this does not always guarantee a perfect setup because the neck doesn't always bend exactly the way we need it to - i.e. it doesn't bend at all at the first 3-4 frets. Then, either the board or frets need to be adjusted to allow the correct relief. Otherwise you'd need to raise the saddle slightly to compensate.