View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bausin View Post

So when you add new fret(s), do you level the frets with the neck straight or with relief? Or do you maintain it doesn't matter?
Correct. if the fret in front of the fret that you are fretting is the same height (and your saddle of course is not ridiculously low) then you will not have buzz. Same goes for the nut.

I always level the fretboard dead flat because I use a long sanding beam. If I have a guitar in for repair with a neck that cannot get adjusted then I will use a shorter 6in flat file. That way I am sure that the frets are level within that 6in range which is a moving target over the fretboard. The important thing there again is that the frets just in front of the frets are level, 7 frets down stream might be off because of a twist but that won't matter either just so long as the frets in front of them are the same... Clear as mud?

And we are talking thousands of an inch here. Extreme cases notwithstanding.

None the less if you do level with the relieve in place (look at the Katana system thread just started the other day for example) and then straighten out the neck flat and you have buzz say on the 1st fret then that is because the 1st fret is too low. Again assuming your saddle height is not too low, but if it was then you would have buzz on more then the 1st fret.