View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 12:34 AM

Just looking at my bench and thinking about what I use most:

The stewmac ruler which has zero in the centre is super useful for establishing the centre line.

The stewmac super scraper (not sure what they call it) is great - use that all the time.

My chisels are a collection of new and antique - the steel on old Sheffield made tools is excellent and they can be had for peanuts at flea markets.

A Japanese style pull saw is another tool I use all the time, but I don't have a band saw. Get the right kerf and it will double as a fret saw.

Stewmacs dragon rasps are excellent for shaping necks - I think they might have a newer model out now, but mine have been great.

Used pillar drills can be had for very reasonable $ - use it as your fret press too.

I don't have room for some big tools like planer jointer or thickness sander so I have ended up paying for a session at a local woodshop - I only use them for one or two jobs so it's not worth the investment so far. Maybe worth finding out where the nearest woodshop or pro luthier is to rent a bit of time? Maybe after COVID has buggered off...

Best of luck!