View Single Post
Old 12-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankelsey View Post
My father was the editor for Fine Woodworking from the very beginning (he was the first employee) up until they went full color. Then he moved into other areas of the company before leaving. He is retired now and does wood turning. What issue numbers are the Grit articles in?
I'd be interested in hearing how these sound, Bruce!
Small world, must have been interesting to be in on the ground floor of a great enterprise. I think Fine Woodworking and fine Homebuilding must be some of the best work of their kind ever published.

I think the ark of both mags follows a proverbial bell shaped curve, started out slow but good and got better until they peaked with many great issues and the declined to a lessor extent while still good just not great.

Did your father have anything to do with bringing George Frank on board. What a great addition he was, a master refinisher and just about as good of a story teller. He has just about the most detailed article (issue #58- a issue that has an article by Grit on inlay by the way) on French Polishing you could ever find.

The Grit Laskin guitar articles are #1 Nov/Dec 1987 issue #67; #2 Mar/Apr 1988 issue #69; #3 June 1990 issue #82.