Thread: Counting notes
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
But there’s nothing visual about music
Sure. I only meant that I visualise time in that way - like a clock face turned into a straight line (and infinite length). I see musical time as a series of regular steps, and then see how all the beat divisions fall into it.

I mean, I feel it first, as sounds in time, but if I have to conceptualise it in any other way (and I don't often), then it's like a ruler. To me, that's far more intuitive than counting using words.

I do agree with konnakol syllables though - that avoids the superfluous meanings of words like "one", "and", or "triplet" (which involve the wrong part of the brain), in order to concentrate purely on rhythmic sounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanKliman View Post
, except for scores, and the idea here is to help interpret written music. Of course nobody labels a ruler, but you’d use it to make pencil marks on a board you’re going to cut or whatever, wouldn’t you? I don’t care much for analogies, because there’s no quicker way to sidetrack a discussion. That said, I do think a ruler is a useful and interesting analogy with regard to time values.
Yes, that's all I meant!