Thread: Using Varnish
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 08:02 PM

Default Using Varnish

I've got a steel string, parlor-sized guitar build (spruce top/maple back) that is at a point where I need to add the finish. I don't have access to to a spray booth and had wanted to avoid nitro and highly toxic finishes. I have done a lot of reading in the various forums, pages, etc. and seen a wide range of opinions about different finishes. I'm really struggling with what to do. I had hoped to find a water-based lacquer, but have just seen too much negative feedback to feel comfortable trying it. Tru-oil and French Polish have advantages of being generally low toxic, but my understanding is that they offer pretty limited additional protection and need to be occasionally buffed up.

I am interested in varnish as a possible option. I have read about how it is "softer", but also allows more vibration. It also can be rubbed on. Collings has a good brief description on their site.

My question is less about how to describe the benefits of varnish and to ask:

"Under what circumstances would you choose to use a varnish product (e.g., Waterlox) over a lacquer (e.g., nitro)?"

Appreciate any thoughts.