View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Thats a good point,,, not sure it was the one MB was making back in August that I was replying to,,, But certainly now simplifies posting a cover on Sound Cloud.
I had heard about the Music Modernization Act, but did not realize it is now in effect as Of Jan 1.
Actually it appears after briefly reading some of the provisions of the act that the providers like Sound Cloud do have to reasonably facilitate the identifying of cover songs which they already have according to Sound Clouds copyright policy page where they state (i.e they have been using automated search software , since 2010 to identify copyrighted covers) Now the have to also report such covers but,,,, it looks like the new 3 rd party entity established in the Act, will be one collecting the fees from the providers like Sound Cloud and distributing the money to the copyright holders .
No, my point (back in August) was that casual music listeners do not use SC - only other musicians. Yes, you can link your songs on SC to friends/family, if you want. But why PAY to do it, when you can create a simple youtube video - and EVERYONE uses YT - and post it for free? I've noticed in the recent past that Eagles song covers no longer get taken down, just monetized. I suspect the same would hold true for other artists' songs that people do covers on and post to YT too that in the past would be taken down (usually Warner Brothers owned song).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele