View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
This is a great mic comparison. I had not heard 251 or Brauner Fet before. 67 style I am a little bit familiar with having heard it on many of my past favorite recording artists.
First let me say, that of course without hearing it in the mix & song...that of course makes a difference. And Reverb often tells a different story about what a mic really has to offer. Reverb sometimes reveals things about a mic.
My impressions:
*I loved the purity of the Brauner Fet. It was smooth like a valve but with a bit of an edge.
** Oddly I have had not experience before with 251's. so I did listen to a few youtube videos after you mentioned it.
I see why people talk about the 251, it has a bit more clarity-edge than other valve's but still with that silky smoothness.
*** 67's have always seemed a bit too distorted for my liking. They work wonderfully...possibly a bit too much taming for my liking. (now that might be a different story when I would hear all the brashness that might be revealed if not using a smooth valve like the 67. There is something to be said for Smoothness. Always a safe bet)
When I owned my 70's U87, that was my complaint..it was a bit too tame and not open enough for my liking. However, with that being said..it never let me down to get a nice smooth, usable sound.
The Brauner seems to have a bit of both worlds, some edge and openness with smoothness. Or is that just the addition of the tube pre? I will have to talk to Doug and see what Model Brauner he owns.
I believe Doug has a pair of Brauner tube mics perhaps VM1 (Ha I see Doug answered while I was being my typical remedial slow poster self )

I chose the Brauner Phantom V over The U87 ai (which I also like on my voice) but because I thought the BPV a bit more was open, detailed, and slightly better balanced throughout . I believe it has a flatter response curve in the upper mid's as well but it can get a sibilant in the upper highs .

I think yes, the 251 may well boast one of most detailed high ends of of the classic style tube mics, (also almost to the point of being a sibilant if you are not careful with your S's ) I guess the difference between "air" and siblance can be just a db or two, of spl

So here are a couple of real world examples (albeit very different from each other) Some covers I posted on YouTube, with some mixing (some EQ ,a bit of master bus Comp, and some Verb)

The "I Lived" cover (experimenting with split green screen and 2 camera angles for video). is a one shot take, guitar and vocal same time all the way through.
Note the Schoeps MK 4 ,close guitar camera angle (sitting just at the intersection of the Brauner boom and the MK 4 stand) .... It was shot in my previous attic studio/ mancave.

" Midnight Hour" cover is shot in my current actual bedroom studio (experimenting with split screen video and layering the vocal ) and first attempt at some electric lead (which I am trying to learn in late stage second childhood ). This is with a pair of AEA N 22 phantom powered ribbons on Guitar and 251 on vocals

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 07-13-2020 at 06:43 AM.