View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
There's a pretty high wall being unknown. Yes, sometimes there are lightning-strikes "it went viral" YouTube phenomenons but most people monetizing YouTube work very hard and consistently at what they do and often ride on the backs the topics they cover or an otherwise established career. Just being good, even way beyond open-mic night good, isn't promotion enough given that huge amount of content online.

I've never looked at this myself very deeply, but I believe YouTube looks for you to have thousands of followers before you get to monetize there, so the ramp the first step of getting money from YouTube is steep!

That said it's an inexpensive way to get comfortable producing performances, choosing what works for you and an audience, and having an adventure.

Spotify et al pay very small amounts per play. $50 a year would be a more realistic stretch-goal than $50 a month for an artist without a decent fan base established though other means. Again, there are exceptions, but they are rare.

Cover versions on YouTube seem to "sneak by" for us small fry. I've done it once or twice, and I actually hope the copyright holders get the penny or two they're due for the plays I receive.

Do you need to copyright your originals? I'm not a lawyer and this sort of question often starts a repeating thread on forums such as this. My understanding is that you have the copyright in the US from the time of creation, and you can still (as in days past) register a copyright via the government if you wish to have a record of that, but that "publishing" it via something like YouTube would likely help establish your claim to being the original creator in a palpable way. On the other hand, you need to setup publishing if you ever want to get money from others who might cover your songs. All and all, a big subject and one that I've not bothered to monetize myself. Learning how to establish a music career isn't a simple thing, and even doing it "right" is no guarantee of success.

I don't mean to throw cold water on your ideas or hopes, just to let you know that it's more than being talented and having the technology to make a video or recording. I myself enjoy the process of composing and recording and the few thousands of listens I get over years.
Hi Frank!

Wow, I think I just saw your music video and very professional and with great lyrics and the vocalist you chose is phenomenal! The acting and editing and music... all is very well done... that's if I actually found your video. Thanks for taking the time to give such informative advice! I JUST RETURNED HERE AT THE BEGINNING TO SAY IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS I FULLY UNDERSTAND. I think though my thoughts at this crucial threshold might influence others.

What if I simply want to try my music out to listeners in hopes to get comments and also maybe a lot of hits. It is just me and my guitar and sometimes with my harmonica. You're in a very popular genre of rock, but I'm in Folk. I thought it might be good at least for now, I think, as performing in coffeehouses the way it's going with the virus is a long time from now. I could with YouTube find out I think the real feedback beyond open mics. It will make me take a hard look in the metaphorical mirror.

I don't mean to brag, but I've had people in tears, giving hugs. A guy invited me to their Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations. I tried but was too nervous to sound good and quit but not the main reason to go as it was a kind of gift giving his inviting me. I received a standing ovation like I'd never seen at any open mic I've been to, and a lot of other good signs over 2 yrs.

Now with the virus I can't really rely on the next "step" which was a coffeehouse gig, so I thought a video with a low budget camera like "Zoom". That's great you lay it out like it really is. I have to laugh thinking "$50 a month" when you say one is lucky at $50 a year ha! Where I'm at is really wanting to know what the general public, not open mic listeners, thinks. Thanks for your input as I can see things more lucidly now. Do you think I'm being realistic by now wanting to at least somewhat replicate what would have been my next "step" had the virus not occurred even though I won't make any income?

Also... is the thought of attracting potential listeners to my original songs with like, "Both Sides Now", at least a better than nothing strategy as I don't think spending money on advertising is going to help. I also know I'm not going to attract anyone with my name or the names of my songs because I'm basically Joe Blow being led onto a plank over a trash bin by John Doe until I prove myself to them. You mention “adventure” so I think you mean it's my delving into the unknown with my art and that YouTube video is plausible from the “adventure” standpoint, right?

In what I think is your video... is that you with all the major bank of sound recording controls? Wow you really know the industry! All I'll have is that little “Zoom 2qn 4k”. I don't even know if I can dub or patch in... thinking for example a verse in one song “Well you know how sometimes, the water is blue, and you know how sometimes when the sun it shines through.” and with my little Zoom 2qn I know a place where I can video water sparkling in the sun... in another verse... Vincent Van Gough appears and neat to have maybe a shot of one of his paintings... things like that. Can someone do that with just a 2qn and attract more viewers? I think if they're visually entertained, meaning not just boring eyesore old me picking my guitar, that they will leave my video experience, as in your video, feeling like time flew by, entertained visually too.

You must be an influence in Hollywood as that love interest actress reminds me of someone I've seen in the major movies, like that antagonistic girl in the movie, “Lost in Translation”. How much did it cost you to make that video?

I just don't imagine them clicking without knowing me, yet they would at Joni's name and “Both Sides Now” which I think they'll, like they did when I played at open mics, be happy they listened. I think what gave “Passenger” his big lift was his amazing rendition of Paul Simon's, “Sounds of Silence”. I don't mean to compare myself to him as he's way up there with like your talent and that girl who is your vocalist. I don't have shots of packed public crowds oogling over me as I sing for more visual variety....

Maybe there's a way with “Both Sides Now”, where I could dub in (wrong terms) or patch in, a shot of beautiful clouds etc. Seeking your thought... would not even buying a, "Zoom 2qn 4k", and having “me” in the video and having just all patched in scenes be better... Maybe at the very end they see me when I do the last strum and smile. With patched in scenes of beautiful clouds maybe they would go “full screen” and sit back and take in my rendition.

Also I could for $35 an hour have a small indie recording studio record the master of my music. He said one song I want as my “first” original song that averages in at 9:35 (I have a little over 4 min version too...) would probably involve 3 hrs and he would do the sound mastering once it's done. Wouldn't I then have the “soundtrack” and patch in clips to go with my lyrics? Maybe don't even buy a Zoom, or just just have it briefly showing me and 95% of it be patched in scenes, clips I can maybe buy online. Also another thought... maybe buy instead an earlier generation GoPro Hero 6 and like with one song where I use shots of Lake Superior as I use that lake to depict a beautiful woman I'm singing about. That means though struggling to go to Lake Superior and get the right video clips. Maybe there's clips too a person can buy on the internet... have you heard of that? I know you can do that with photos at like wix.com.

One host of a very popular open mic said to me, “Really, you must know you're good.” So I think there's a tiny percent that will like my music. I've clicked on unknowns and sad to see like 35 hits in five years! I don't want that to happen. Thanks again for your invaluable input!

Top of the Evening!
Winfred