View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
I was mainly reflecting on a bit of my own despair that regardless of equipment, I was lacking the "key" element of hearing needed to assure anything I did was actually enjoyable to anyone other than myself.
It depends entirely on the extent of hearing loss . If it is the prototypical age related loss of the high frequencies (depending on range, if it is 14k and up for example ) it may not really have a significant effect on being able to play, record, and even mix music with good success.
Note also that the hearing loss discussion was more about not being able to hear a difference in only what better mic's might bring to table in the high end,
Which in no way would prevent being able to hear a difference and or the equality through the rest and bulk of the frequency range. Same thing with mixing.

Quote:
I do think someone with years of technical knowledge and long experience with known equipment could likely continue to produce at a high level using their technical experience, knowing what their equipment was capable of, etc.
A really good example is the George Martin & Son... Re-mix of Beatles music for the soundtrack for "Love" the Cirque du Soleil's Las Vegas show,
He was reported to have had high end hearing loss when mixing that album.

Quote:
But starting to record and mix later in life, like so many of us on the forum, without good hearing, that's another story. I'll can still try and still enjoy the process and using decent equipment, but I may now ask for more opinions on my final mixes than I would have before reading this thread. I don't make my living relying on my ears--and for me--that's a good thing.
Again it depends on how bad the loss is the bulk of the music is from about 200 Hz to about 14kHz

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4