View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Phantom Power from mixer AND external pre-amp. Ok or super Bad?

Ive been thinking about this for quite a while now, however I dont have the technical knowledge to know for sure. When running a mic through a mixer with the phantom power turned on, is it also ok to run another mic through an external pre-amp with its own source of phantom power plugged into this same mixer. I havent tried it yet because I dont want to 'fry' anything in case it is in fact a big no no. If its perfectly fine then Im going to do it all the time, and if not then naturally I wont ever go there.
The reason Im asking is because I just picked up a Tascam DP02CF off ebay for a steal of a price with the intention of using it purely as an idea notepad. It sounds and works great but the mic pre on this totally blows for my AKG C414, so I really need to use an external pre-amp, yet for my Beyerdyanmic MC930 its all good to just plug straight in. Will the phantom power of the Tascam running the Beyerdynamic freak out together with the phantom power of the external pre-amp running the AKG?
Blowing things up is not on my immediate 'to do' list.