View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
To my thinking, recording and playing live are entirely different animals.
This seems to have drifted from the specific "do you glue sections together" into the general topic of editing, which comes up often. I completely agree with Jim's comment here, with the caveat that it depends on your goals. In general, I think of making a recording, audio or video as creating a "product", and you expect the product to be as good as possible. Imagine a book, full of typos and run-on sentences, where the author says "well, it wouldn't have been honest to go back and edit it, so I just published it the way I typed it". Or software that's just written straight thru with no bug fixes!

Even "live" recordings these days often have "post-production", which can even include the performers coming in and fixing parts.

So if your goal in recording is to document your progress, give you feedback on how you would sound live, or as a personal achievement measure, then "1-take, no edits" is a good goal. If you're trying to create a good product, you do what you need to do. For me, there's a balance - often it's just easier to be able to play all the way thru and not need to edit, and there's a question of where I want to spend my time - should I spend a few more hours practicing to where I can record in one take, or spend a few hours editing? Of course, doing video, where editing options are much more limited tilts things toward the "practice until you can play it" side of things.