View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have built several Jatoba back and side guitars, and it is an incredible timber. It is the most difficult to bend wood in my experience. In order to make a cutaway, I have to get to .o50", which I learned by breaking several sides.

One could make pegs on a lathe, but there is no need. The shaper and the ream come so well matched in taper I don't give it a second thought.

I got coat five on the classical and coat two on the Blanca today. So beautiful!
The fretboards were originally flooring which I managed to buy a mostly full box for $20. I also have two back and side sets that I am leaving be until I have the confidence to tackle them. I have read where you wrote about building with them and that you had to thin them down more than your normal. I probably will resaw a piece of the flooring and practice bending a few before attempting the actual sides. Wouldn't have known to thin them down if it were not for you documenting your builds. There always seems to be something to learn by following your threads.