View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

I have not listened on my studio system so I will and post again
On my laptop with some HP's seems to me you are already 90-95 % good to go...

BUT in general

let make some observations and maybe dispel some internet mythology.

Myth #1 No,, 2 mics is not inherently an "issue" and phasing with 2 mics is also not inherently and issue either, it depends entirely on mic placement and how much phasing

Myth #2 No,, you are not "supposed" to "double track" ,,,, double tracking is simply one type of recording method and definitely only one of several options and by no stretch of imagination a requirement or a "supposed to" especially not on acoustic guitar
But it also depends on usage and personal preference in sparse mix you might want a stereo guitar ,,, in a dense mix maybe a mono guitar will work better. So many variables involved that blanket "supposed to's" do not apply

That said one mic can also be fine (depending on desired result )

#3 if I am understanding ("just duplicated and panned say 48" ) simply duplicating a mono track and panning L&R , without slipping one track a tiny bit later in the timeline .. And OR... EQ-ing each fairly differently , is IMO useless , as it will only sound like a louder mono and still up the center, and will not really add any stereo width., if that was the goal ?

EA ::: In any multi instrument session sparse or dense EQ (High Pass filtering to eliminate low end buildup,,,,, and Subtractive EQ to make each instrument clearer and more distinct) are IMO essential tools ...

Compression ::: I am not quite clear about this statement " I decided not to use compression cause the guitars didn't jump"
Do you mean the guitars did not stand out (jump) in the original recording OR after you tried using compression ?

If the former than just understand compression is a multi functional tool
And while one function of compression can be to tame and or make an instrument or voice "sit in a mix" (or move it backward into the mix, to be less prominent )
A different function is to move the instrument or voice forward in the mix and make it more prominent and more clear ....
Because we have or want to have our recordings playback in 3 dimensions Left and

Now understanding I do have some hearing loss,,, Seems to me one possible improvement could be,, it seems that in Bookends the guitars get somewhat lost when the piano comes in . Which is where Subtractive EQ and perhaps some judicious compression can help. But it depends entirely on what one is actually after in mix aesthetics and sound
maybe you want the guitars and piano to blend into a less distinct meshed rhythm section ?????

In this recording for example I wanted the vocal to be slightly out front , the acoustic rhythm guitar to be pumping in the mid ground,,, and piano to be distinct and heard yet float in and out of the mid ground and background

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-04-2021 at 09:28 AM.