View Single Post
Old 06-21-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’m about to take delivery of an Emerald Amicus - a short-scale (18”) 12-string carbon fiber instrument, strung with steel strings in unison pairs, and tuned D-D (like the 10th fret of an regular guitar). Larger body than the OP’s ronroco, but very similar proportions.

This thread has made me start thinking about alternatives beyond standard guitar-based open tunings.
There are a lot of "alternative" instruments out there when you begin looking for them. Your Emerald Amicus sounds very similar to the Veillette Avante Gryphon, a 18-1/8" 12 string guitar. These are fairly popular, enough to the point that they are manufactured as a "import" instrument.

http://www.veilletteguitars.com/avante_gryphon.shtml

I developed a "short scale mandola" that I played many band gigs with. I made that instrument because it matched my vocal range better than any other commercially available instrument.

That instrument, as well as the new Ronroco, are close enough to baritone ukulele size that I can use baritone uke cases. I learned a long time ago that it's not difficult to make odd-sized instruments, but the tougher part is finding a case to fit them!

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-21-2021 at 06:38 PM.