View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 PM

I've talked about by Uncle's 1967 J45 that he let me cut my teeth on for years as a teen. That's pretty sentimental because he passed away and it was mine for awhile. but it's also obvious.

I swear I am terribly attached to my cheap DCX Martin. It sound's odd right? I dont know what it is. It's a $600 laminate guitar that some here, have even suggested it's not a real Martin. That's ok- I get it.

For me it was the first real acoustic that I sounded pro though after years of playing on low end acoustics. I think I got lucky because people, soundmen and musicians alike, were always shocked to find out it was a DCX. Most thought it was some high end Martin.

I recorded and wrote tons of material on it with a guitar player that I met out of the blue one night that ended up turning into one of my best friends ever. That kind of stuff doesn't happen much when you're 40. I played countless gigs that supported my family with it and played it at family funerals and weddings.

At my Grandmother's funeral I ran back into the church to grab my guitar while everyone was eating in the church hall. It was just me, the casket and my guitar in this huge church. I busted it out and sang Amazing Grace to Grams while nobody was around. It was incredible.

I opened the case one day to find the entire top had become separated from the sides. I almost cried. There was a hole in the bottom. I fixed it with epoxy myself and it never changed the tone.It''s been through so much that it's pretty much time to only play it at home now.

My wife just bought me a beautiful Taylor and I'm grateful and I'm in love with playing it but it's still like a little stepbrother right now until it goes though some stuff with me.