View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 06:11 PM

Some that I have first-hand listening knowledge of, or have used myself:
  • If you have a Strat (or Nashville Tele) drop the middle pickup flush with the pickguard (also deck the tailpiece if it's a Strat) - an old NYC "Key Club" studio players' hack from the early-60's, this provides a nice quasi-acoustic tone in a group arrangement, and can be heard on many recordings from the time;
  • The Gretsch Super Hi-lo'Trons fitted to the pre-2022 Korean 5600-Series Electromatics are excellent for fingerstyle, particularly in combination rather than singly - if you can't locate such an instrument (or want this sound from another guitar) inverting the second row of polepieces on a stock-wound Filter'Tron will achieve essentially the same effect;
  • An underwound P-90 can get some nice acoustic tones in the neck position, if you roll off the guitar's volume control and/or use the low-gain input (if you have one) on your amp - Lindy Fralin makes a 10% underwound that might be a good candidate...
I understand certain lipstick pickups can also be a good option...