View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 09:48 AM
Guest 928

Thank you all for the feedback. I have several responses.

First, I am not sure that volume is the key to projection. It's not an exact analogy but some 4 cylinder engines are hitting 300 HP without the displacement found in larger engines. More to the point, the thin bodied 7 & 10 Emeralds have a surprising projection with considerable less volume than found in larger guitars. I'm not sure what accounts for that or how that sound enhancement can be translated to a larger guitar.

Second, I realize that experimentation is expensive, but necessary if advancements are to be made. Alistair has never been afraid to try an idea, illustrated by the fact that his shop used to be lined with failures screwed to the ceiling. Nor am I afraid of failure; I subscribe to the Joplin notion that I just need to try a little harder.

Carbon fiber tops may not need bracing, but may require a thickness not particularly sensitive to nylon strings or short scales. Perhaps a thinner CF top with a spider-web of ultra thin CF bracing? Or another far-fetched possibility would to be a thinner top with tone posts, as with violins. Or maybe there are gradations of CF, some of which may be more sensitive to the subtle vibrations of nylon strings.

So yes. It's a challenge. Alistair has never been afraid of a challenge and I am willing to help subsidize the expedition.

Your comments are most welcome. Affirmations and denials are both valuable as we first scout carbonates pursue a novel form of guitar.