View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Charlie,

My first foray into recording was similar to Barry's (TBMan) as I bought a Zoom H5 primarily after learning that SHORELINE MUSIC (AGF sponsor) uses the H5 X-Y mics for recording all of their videos on their website (I bought my H5 from them). I am very impressed with the H5's ability just recording with the supplied mics but I made an investment in a pair of Shure KSM137 SDC mics and a Rode NT1A LDC mic along with a Scarlett 2i2 USB interface that I can use the with the Reaper DAW on my laptop.

But I'm a lot like Barry in that it's very easy to use either the H5 by itself or set it up using the mics above and then download the sound file onto my laptop for further processing. I have a pair of both open back and closed back headphones for monitoring during recording and post processing.

If you are just looking to get a good recording to share with us AGF'ers and family and friends, you don't need much more than a good room, an H5, a DAW you like, possibly some external mics, and some headphones. You can do a lot with that and your total investment can stay under $1,000.

Good luck and have fun!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)