View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

While I normally think a single pattern, cardioid can be a better value, if you really want to do M/S, one of your mics should be a multi-pattern with a figure-8 option, i.e., if you want to record M/S with only the 2 mics you buy. You also might find that figure-8 pattern works [better] if you plan to have both singers singing into a single mic at the same time, because then you can each be on opposite sides of the mic, and more on than off axis.

Otherwise, I can't fault those mics because I've never used them. (I have an sE Electronics mic and RØDE as well, and think they build good gear.) But, my "go-to" LDC mic in that price range is the Miktek MK300, though. Nice sound on both voice and acoustic guitar, and multi-pattern capability.

I also have the AKG C214. I used it for both guitar and voice until I got the Miktek, and still use it for guitar. Don't get me wrong, I would probably use it for some voices - I just prefer the Miktek for my voice. These days, I think there are a lot more (dozens) choices in that price range, though.