View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Closing the thread with something special...

Hi everyone,

Before being accused of TCD ("Thread Closure Disorder"), I'd like to share with you something that really was the cherry on the cake.

Since January 2020, I've been taking classes with Will McNicol and registered on his newly created platform The College. I discovered a lot of his repertoire through Tom's demo videos, and I've always admired his technique and compositional skills. A few months before the completion of my guitar, I learnt about his commission work. Sadly I am more of a performer than a composer, and despite learning sporadically about music theory I have yet to create original music that I find compelling.

With that context in mind, I took the plunge and asked Will to compose a piece directly on the guitar while he was testing it for Tom's introduction video. I wanted it to become a gift for my partner, and I am really thankful for Will to make that creative process fun and collaborative.

First, he asked me to write a text to provide direction and some visual cues to the piece. I wanted to convey a sense of intimacy and child-like wonder, which I think he successfully represented throughout the piece. Second, since my partner plays cello, he collaborated with Alice (from Innotet) to add a part on top of the guitar. The ensemble is beautifully cohesive and I am really excited about learning that piece together. Third, he also provided me with a vinyl, CD and printed scores.

Here is the final video: https://vimeo.com/509753602/c0827f2b9d

I think it makes for a very special gift, and I so look forward to share it on April 26th. Thankfully my partner is not so keen on guitar forums as I am, so we run very little risk of spoiling the surprise

Finally, working with Will has been such an outstanding experience. His communication and professionalism are top notch, and he far exceeded my expectations. You can find more details about the commission process on his website, and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any question.

Until next time!
Tom