View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Hi Folks!
Looking for some AGF wisdom and opinions on this.

I think I've settled on a dual source for what will be my main gigging guitar. It's a Rainsong JM1000, the jumbo. It comes stock with a Fishman under saddle pickup with a bar door preamp, the Prefix Plus-T. The plugged in sound is decent but I'd like to add a second source. I'm going to go with the Fishman Rare Earth Blend.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to install a second jack vs. wiring the pickups to a single stereo jack. I like the fact that 1) it's very easy to use either pickup independently should I choose to do that and 2) should I decide to go another route, I can completely remove the Rare Earth and sell it since the second jack would allow me to install the pickup without any modification (to the pickup.)

The downsides of the second jack are 1) the extra hole in the guitar! and 2) the dual 1/4" cable but I've gotten some good advice on the cable in another thread.

I was eyeing up some different outboard blenders but I am almost always doing my own sound so I'll just use two channels on my QSC TouchMix 8 for the guitar and blend the two sources that way.

It's been a while since I've had multiple sources in one guitar. I've done the stereo jack but that was with a Pendulum SPS-1 and a pickup/pickup module.

Am I missing anything in my thought process here?

Thanks!
Matt
Probably not what you wanted to hear but how about running the output of the RainSong JM1000 through a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI? No alteration of the guitar required and it should enhance the amplified tone of the JM3000.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-11-2016 at 12:41 PM.