View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

It's pretty hard not to be a little hyper-critical of our own performances in home recordings. There are almost too many things conspiring to keep it from turning out well, not the least of which is the mentioned/alluded to distraction of having a bunch of "hats" on (producer, recording engineer/mixer, maybe videographer) when you should really be thinking about just the performance, if that's what you really want to capture.

For me, it comes and goes, and it's usually when I'm trying to learn something, either a song, or the qualities of a specific mic, a camera feature, whatever, so the "performance" is somewhere down the list. If you really want to focus entirely on the performance, it might be worth trying to find someone else that can do the recording - maybe you record them, they record you, or something like that.

I suspect our attention spans are being diminished by the information overloaded, digital, instant-gratification kind of world we live in, but there's a reason that top-40 radio was focused on under 3min songs, too, even back then. I know when I post videos, whether it's me, or anyone, good or bad, classical, country, r&r, whatever, 2, 5, 10 minutes - the average *viewing* time is just bumping up against 2 minutes. Post an audio track, you're lucky if anyone will even click on it anymore. (Thank you MTV!)

Anyway, my usual book - you have to have a *reason* for recording I think, and then focus on that one thing to evaluate the result. If you can't think of a reason, then don't push the red button.