View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 01:54 AM

I've had to be away from the AGF for a couple of days, and am arriving late to the party. I apologize. I apologize, too, if sharing my experience comes across as being haughty or proud - that's a long way from who I am - but it might help if you knew my background.

I'm a seminary trained, full time, ordained minister, one whose primary tool for ministry is music. I have a couple of music degrees and over thirty years experience in leading musical worship in a wide variety of styles. I'm a pro.

I'm also an AGF Moderator, which means I've agreed to uphold our rules and way of doing things. One of those is that we discuss religion only in the Loading Dock section, which is reserved for our Charter Members. That makes discussing church music here very difficut, because we can hardly keep from discussing religion while we talk about worship music. The two are one and the same to me, and cannot be divorced.

As I read through this thread, I recognize that we've crossed the "no religion discussion" rule several times, and are likely to do so again. I ask for the indulgence of those who do not share our faith, who do not wish to read about it. I promise I will do my part to limit religion discussion except on the Dock, but have made a judgement call to allow the posts so far in this thread to stand.

However, I have a tough request. Let's do our very best to talk about HOW we do music in the church, without getting into the WHY. Impossible, I know. But if we are to continue here.... Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Now, back to the original post. Geardaddy, I think your original post paints all "contemporary" church music with far to broad a brush. Though you confess to limited experience and say that it's just your opinion, you also say "music ministers have no taste in music,... these guys seem to be typically a little nerdy, and into vocal stuff, and don't really understand." That's pretty insulting of thousands of music ministers you've never met. In my opinion, that's like saying guitar music stinks. Sure, some of it does, and yes, it might generate some good discussion, but you shouldn't be too surprised when people take exception to it.

Are you truly qualified to judge "taste" in musical worship, or to discount other's efforts to serve because you think they're "nerdy?" They "don't really understand," but you do? Do you hear how arrogant and judgemental that comes across?

Here's the deal. If you're asked to lead musical worship, then develop your God given ability to the highest level you can, as a good steward. Then give Him your very best, as a sacrificial offering, asking that it be multiplied like the little boy's fish and loaves. Don't be proud because your fish were better than others', and don't worry if some self-appointed judges decide your fish weren't good enough for the Lord to use.

Don't become arrogant or judgmental if you've been given five talents, or get down on yourself if you've been given one. It's not the amount of talent you've been given, but what you do with it.

If you haven't been asked to lead musical worship, do you think your God-given task is to criticize and insult those who have? To explain to thousands of people on the AGF how you really understand, but those nerdy music ministers don't? Respectfully, I don't think so. Whether your name is Isaac Watts or Fanny Crosby or Bill Gaither or Chris Tomlin or (fill in the blank), your role is to make things better. As long as you're just blasting the nerds who don't understand, you're not adding anything. You're not building, you're destroying, which is always a lot easier and more seductive.

If you can do things better, great. Get to it! Isaac Watts wrote "When I Survey" and "Joy to the World" because he was dissatisfied with the way things were in the church music of his day. Go build a ministry that touches people and changes their lives. But be ready for those with "superior" musical tastes. They will try to destroy your work because it's too __________.

cotten