View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
I'm bumping this thread rather than starting a new one. I just got an Alvarez baritone last week; I absolutely love the guitar (guitar deal of the decade!) but I'm not very happy with the D'Addario EXPs. I don't like their feel (or noise) with nails, and I'd like more body in the 1st and 2nd strings to go with the richness of the baritone.

Hoping the ABT60's popularity is paralleled with new owners' string experiments since this thread started when the ABT60 was just getting to the dealers in numbers. Also...is there a website with strings vs. scale that helps string experimenters?
Dennis,

I posted this earlier in another thread, but since this one is specific to strings, I'll mention it here as well.

I also have an ABT60, and didn't care for the string noise of the EXPs. I switched to an Elixir baritone set, and then made a couple of string changes. I replaced the plain steel 2nd with a .022 wound Elixir, and I replaced the plain steel 1st with a .017 nickel wound D'Addario.

I mostly play fingerstyle in open G formations (open D on the baritone - A,D,A,D,F#,A) so that tunes the 1st and 6th string to "A", which works great.

The .017 won't tune all the way up to "B" without snapping, so if I want to use standard chord formations, I use an A-A tuning instead of B-B (A,D,G,C,E,A)

Suits my style, and I've come to really like the sound of the wound first string.