View Single Post
Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 PM

Well, it's been about a year, and all the anticipation resolves in opening that box kindly left outside my door by UPS. Nice guitar
The satin finish is quite understated, which I like, and the simplicity of the build does let the woods speak for themselves. I am glad I went for the 47mm (1 27/32!) nut width, I seem to have settled on 47 or 48mm as optimum.
Soundwise, it's had a couple of days to settle in, wake up and start accepting its new life as a guitar. Big, singing tone, very responsively voiced for fingerstyle, lots of sustain. Definitely in the same family tonewise as the McNally 00, but stronger and bolder as you would expect. I really like the Adi top, it's got a lot of musical personality, and the Cuban, well it sounds like mahogany but with a bit extra, a bit more chorus and overtones, maybe a bit more rosewood-ish? Very rewarding to play, so I'm having fun. I'll update with a recording in a few weeks.
There's quite a cool effect that happens in DADGAD when I play the G and B string one semitone apart, the wave dissonance creates a fascinating kind of sonic ripple that sustains for several seconds.